Construction Accident FAQs

Construction Accident FAQs: What To Do After Getting Injured On The Job Site

Construction work plays a vital role in building and maintaining our society. However, it can also be dangerous work and those who are employed in this field face great risks. Sustaining an injury at a jobsite in Monmouth County can lead to a lot of uncertainty about your health and your ability to work. Below are the answers to questions that injured construction workers often have.

Q. Should I File a Report?

A: As soon as is practical after an accident, you should report the incident to your immediate supervisor. You should also fill out an incident report or put your version of what happened down in writing.

Q. Can I Sue My Employer?

A: Employers in New Jersey are required to maintain workers’ compensation coverage. Filing a workers’ compensation claim can provide you money to help with medical bills and a portion of your lost wages. However, once you file for workers’ compensation, you are then barred from filing a lawsuit against your employer or any of your co-workers.

Q. Will Workers’ Compensation Be Enough to Cover My Expenses?

A: It may not be. Depending on the severity of your injury and the level of assistance you require, the benefits received from workers’ compensation may not cover all of your costs or fully compensate you for your inability to work. In addition, workers’ compensation does not take intangible factors such as your pain and suffering into account.

You should speak with a lawyer at Hobbie & DeCarlo, P.C. about the possibility of obtaining additional compensation through a third-party lawsuit. We will investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident to identify any third parties, such as subcontractors, manufacturers or property owners, who may be liable.

Q. How Can I Receive Additional Compensation?

A: While you cannot sue your employer, you may be able to recover costs from other parties who played a role in causing your accident. Makers of defective equipment, subcontractors and property owners are just a few examples of outside parties who may have been negligent. Consulting with an attorney who is experienced and knowledgeable about construction accidents is important so that the right people can be held responsible for your injury.

Your Recovery is Important to Us

To schedule a free initial consultation, call us at 732-380-1515. or . You can also send us a message online.